Tuesday, February 22, 2022

Isho'yahb to bishop Sabrisho'

[Isho'yahb of Nineveh, epistle 31]

A little out of the strength of your probation, and a little out of the sight of the first common Father, O God-lover, when one was joined to the other in the preceding year; my weaknesses prepared for the sight of your Charity, by God's grace. From experience a reminder of brief time is good for you, with me every day. I look forward to also in good conscience to become informed about yourself. For scarcely when the son of your Charity, and my brother, Mar Sergius, priest and teacher, came to me; the news of your health calmed my desire a little; and I wished to visit you, with [Sergius'] help, as far as possible, by means of a greeting, persuading you to remember me in prayer before God in the time of the sacrifice which he offers to him for all, so that perhaps I may spend the rest of my life in the will of God. When anyone comes to you who is going to Assyria, may you inform me by letter of your health, that I may be of good cheer. Farewell.

No comments:

Post a Comment